Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Monday 17 August 2015

Gifts



On Saturday afternoon, just before sunset, Mom's ashes were interred at the Holy Rosary Garden of Remembrance.

I have been making gifts from MOM'S YARN STASH to work through my grief and to spread a bit of comfort to family and close friends:   a "MAGIC" COMFORT BLANKET for my brother,  a HUGE COMFORT BLANKET for my dad, (as well as a few hot water bottle covers and some baby blankets to donate).

For each of the girls I made a super chunky ROAD TRIP SCARF!

Blues for my brother's girlfriend, my mom's best friend, and me:


Pinks for my eldest daughter and my sister:


And purples for my niece, and one extra in case my dad remembers somebody I forgot (oops)


(I will make my son a pair of gloves and a scoodie for my youngest daugher)

Each gift was hand-packaged


 with a special little tag:



These Road Trip Scarves were very quick and easy to make and are super warm - with a few twists on my original pattern:

YARN:   16ply (Super Chunky) - I wound various weights of yarn together to get 16ply.

HOOK:   9.00mm

NUMBER OF ROWS:    25

EDGING:   a simple 3ch picot

Of course, even though Mom is no longer here, I know she is here in spirit - so I made a special mandala and butterfly for the table beside her chair!


(My wonderful friend, Lori, has already tested both patterns for me - I am in the process of editing the photos so that I can publish them.    The Sunflower pattern will be for sale on Ravelry.   The Butterfly pattern will be a freebie on this Blog!)


3 comments:

  1. I love that you've made so many thoughtful gifts from your mom's yarn. The labels are so heartfelt and touching! You have certainly made many people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear mom but I am sure she is smiling down on you.
    Everything you have made is just lovely and so special
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete